Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/daan/data/www/redblade.org/www/community/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
State of affairs: The future of Redblade!
community.redblade.org
September 22, 2018, 05:24:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forums spam cleaned up. Registration disabled due to spambots, sorry!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: State of affairs: The future of Redblade!  (Read 22964 times)
daan
Administrator
Gem-Encrusted Sword

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 23, 2006, 01:09:17 pm »

A friend called me up to play a game of D&D, for old time sake. With time our playing style has matured, and i'm appreciating it in a whole new way.

Anyway, seeing one of my friends booting up Redblade, generating a Dwarven Ranger and slinging his customized axes together made the software designer in me itch. a very very annoying itch that hasn't gone away.

Once upon a time the net was filled with hobbyist tools, blisfully ignored by companies everywhere. Alas, no more. Internet has matured and the the rpg market with it, throwing their weight around to make sure no hobbyist codes something useful.

Now I do not know about you, but if I stack my Party's D&D books together I can make a stack higher than my head. Thats at least 60$ an inch, mind you. And now I HAVE to pay $7 for each book just for the priviledge of using it digitally? err? I rather type it in myself...

For the next version of Redblade I'm focussing on the following areas:
- Customization. Tailored for publishers and dungeon masters, the new editor will make expanding Redblade and entering your own campaigns, booklets and character sheets a snap.
- Community. Redblade will come integrated with community booklet browsing and downloading. Likewise, it will provide an easy way to share your campaigns with the redblade community.  I'm hoping to entice small publishers to release free redblade booklets in exchange for a small 'buy here' link in Redblade.
- Quality. The current version lacks thorough design and it shows.
- Multilingual. With some help we should be able to make Redblade available to the masses. Dutch and English are covered Wink
- Compatibility. I plan broader booklet support.

I intend Redblade to keep its main strength: lean and mean, with an easy to use user interface.

Cost: Redblade itself will be totally free. However, I plan on adding a means for donations. (my gf, my doggy and two cats needs to be fed too Wink!)

expected license: closed source freeware. (sorry guys!)

As far as OS support: It will stay a Windows product, with some effort thrown it to make it work on WINE for Linux and Mac OS X systems. I've pondered building a website version of Redblade but I think that raises too many license issues for the host. Redblade will offer user activated web connectivity for finding and installing booklets; nothing mandatory.

I love to hear what you guys think. I'm aware I have a tendancy to suddenly drop from the map but I'm hoping to put some safeguards in place to prevent that from happening. Expect a Redblade roadmap soon.
Granak
bug hunter
Trusted Sword

granak1031@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 02:17:14 pm »

Firstly, it's great to have you back (though I hadn't been here when you last were) and I think everyone will agree that we're very relieved that nothing happened to you, and that there will be an update.  Cheesy

Secondly, not to be too auspicious, but there are a couple things I've found redblade doesn't have much compatability with (and, honestly, would be very nice to have!) Smiley

Epic Levels
Monstrous Classes
Templates
Psionics
Invocations (maybe)

Most would be very happy to have these, even if they have to add in the actual data themselves. :wink:

Thanks, and, again, it's great to have you back!

ere lies an athiest, all dressed up with no place to go

To be strange is to be normal, and to be normal is to be starnge.
daan
Administrator
Gem-Encrusted Sword

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 03:00:50 pm »

Quote from: "Granak"
Firstly, it's great to have you back (though I hadn't been here when you last were) and I think everyone will agree that we're very relieved that nothing happened to you, and that there will be an update.  Cheesy

Cheesy yay!

Secondly, not to be too auspicious, but there are a couple things I've found redblade doesn't have much compatability with (and, honestly, would be very nice to have!) Smiley

Epic Levels
Monstrous Classes
Templates
Psionics
Invocations (maybe)

Most would be very happy to have these, even if they have to add in the actual data themselves. :wink:

I'm sure the new version of Redblade will support the first four. Wink What are these invocations you speak of?
daan
Administrator
Gem-Encrusted Sword

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 11:20:08 am »

next big version will support language packs. the current version does not.
xavierorion
bug hunter
Adventurers Blade

xavierorion69
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 11:23:35 am »

I would love to see a place to enter XP.  I don't care if it automatically tells you if you made a level or not, but i hate that i have to write in my xp all the time.  

Also, I would love to see customizable item catagories.

Thanx a lot for a great program

Xavier Orion
xavierorion
bug hunter
Adventurers Blade

xavierorion69
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 11:37:21 am »

One other thing i would love to see is a way to copy spells lists from an existing class to a new class.

Thanx again

Xavier Orion
Knightfall1972
Adventurers Blade

rblezard@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 04:01:46 pm »

Monstrous Classes
Invocations (maybe)

Note that providing functionality for these things is one thing, but Daan has to make sure not to include the actual information in the file, as the concept of Monstrous Classes and Invocations aren't OGC.

And, Daan, invocations are how Warlocks, from D&D Complete Arcane cast magic. Hmm, actually you might not be able to include the concept of Invocations, at all, as the Warlock and the idea of Invocations aren't in the SRD.

WotC would definitely consider that a violation of the OGL. Now, if you could allow for the ability for users to enter in custom variant magic concepts without actually specifying Invocations or any other non-OGC magic concepts created by WotC then I think you would be safe.

However, such functionality would be fairly complex. Perhaps you could provide a way for RedBlade 3.5E users to enter in their own datasets (program tables, specials, and maybe even custom forms (window screens).

Just some thoughts,

KF72

b]Robert Blezard[/b]
I write, therefore I am!
Knightfall1972
Adventurers Blade

rblezard@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 04:09:50 pm »

Quote from: "xavierorion"
I would love to see a place to enter XP.  I don't care if it automatically tells you if you made a level or not, but i hate that i have to write in my xp all the time.  

Also, I would love to see customizable item catagories.

Thanx a lot for a great program

Xavier Orion

Quote from: "xavierorion"
One other thing i would love to see is a way to copy spells lists from an existing class to a new class.

Thanx again

Xavier Orion

Excellent suggestions, Xavier Orion, I definitely think the ability to copy spells from one clsss to another would be an asset. And customizable item categories are a must, as well as the ability to design items to be equipped, not just armor, weapons, and magic.

Plus, equipping items should calculate how much weight the character can carry. Plus, animals and transport items shouldn't be equippable or be part of the character's carried weight. Tongue

Cheers!

KF72

b]Robert Blezard[/b]
I write, therefore I am!
Granak
bug hunter
Trusted Sword

granak1031@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 01:23:30 pm »

I didn't think invocations would work out (thus the "maybe), but I had a few hopes, mainly because I do like the Warlock class. On the other hand, having functionality with the others would be plenty, and the idea you mentioned I actually rather like, though it would be complicated, and there are probably a lot of people who wouldn't use it. As well, however, it would be something (at least that I've found) that no other generator has, and might be a great asset to Redblade itself.

Also, I could probably put the invocations in on my own by considering them as "special abilities" such as the rogue has.

ere lies an athiest, all dressed up with no place to go

To be strange is to be normal, and to be normal is to be starnge.
Emryys
Novice Sword

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 01:42:16 am »

Would leaning towards d20 be out of the question?
I like the interface of customization in RB, but would like to use it for other genres. Perhaps making it flexible in this way would be useful/desirable... Just have the DnD stuff already in place Wink

gsman
Adventurers Blade

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 09:15:41 am »

I understood it... And the "or" for prestiege classes is a good idea

0.0) This is Bob. Bob wants to take over the world. Please copy and paste Bob into your sig to help him on his quest.
PitFiend
Rusty Dagger

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 01:39:00 pm »

Quote from: "daan"
next big version will support language packs. the current version does not.

I can help with the spanish translation, only drop me an email
hogfather
Adventurers Blade

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2006, 02:47:30 pm »

i love redblade :lol: i was wondering if you could make a redblade for d20 modern/future? if so that would be awseome!

I'm extremely grateful that Redblade SRD did not go the way of Duke Nukem Forever
cm2ramos
bug hunter
Adventurers Blade

cm2ramos@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006, 08:48:43 pm »

Daan,

Glad to hear you're back in the saddle again.  Frankly, I think the essense of your Front-End interface design works a lot better than others.  It was very user friendly and had little trouble figuring it out.  The Back-End needs some help, as customizing anything is very tricky and tedious.  A Help File would be very helpful in the next version to help with this.

Since this is your baby, but takes up a lot of time to program, have you given thought to bringing in additional volunteers to help develope and support it collaboratively?

I'm sure there are coders on here that would love to help for the love of the product and the game.

Good luck...

C.M.Ramos

C.M.Ramos
==============
"Give me a row of Orc necks and room to swing and all weiriness will fall from me." - Gimli, Helms Deep, The Two Towers
==============
daan
Administrator
Gem-Encrusted Sword

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2006, 05:30:46 am »

Quote from: "cm2ramos"
Daan,
Since this is your baby, but takes up a lot of time to program, have you given thought to bringing in additional volunteers to help develope and support it collaboratively?

I'm sure there are coders on here that would love to help for the love of the product and the game.

I believe collaborative working isn't worth it production wise, as it effectively forces me to become a manager instead of a programmer. Tongue However, I can see some benefits to opening up the source and might do so in the future.

Daan
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: