Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/daan/data/www/redblade.org/www/community/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
State of affairs: The future of Redblade!
community.redblade.org
May 27, 2018, 09:35:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forums spam cleaned up. Registration disabled due to spambots, sorry!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: State of affairs: The future of Redblade!  (Read 21846 times)
cm2ramos
bug hunter
Adventurers Blade

cm2ramos@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 12:25:00 am »

Daan,

Another thought crossed my mind that you may want to consider in the next release.

Since you already allow GM's to Customize Campaigns, why not a Random PC/NPC Generator?

Why?  To take some of the GM burden off NPC generation, or for the irregular player hopping into a Campaign to quickly throw together a character in Redblade.  Enter Name, Race, Gender, Class(es), and Levels.  Then, have a Generate Random on the remaining windows screens - Domains/Spells, Weapons, Skills, Feats, etc. and viola! Your ready to print and go.

Just a thought...

C.M.Ramos
==============
"Give me a row of Orc necks and room to swing and all weiriness will fall from me." - Gimli, Helms Deep, The Two Towers
==============
LWentworth8567
bug hunter
Battleworn Gladius

LWentworth8567@hotmail.com Private+ask+if+y Private+ask+if+you+want+it.
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2006, 11:54:26 pm »

Quote from: "daan"
A friend called me up to play a game of D&D, for old time sake. With time our playing style has matured, and i'm appreciating it in a whole new way.

Anyway, seeing one of my friends booting up Redblade, generating a Dwarven Ranger and slinging his customized axes together made the software designer in me itch. a very very annoying itch that hasn't gone away.

Once upon a time the net was filled with hobbyist tools, blisfully ignored by companies everywhere. Alas, no more. Internet has matured and the the rpg market with it, throwing their weight around to make sure no hobbyist codes something useful.

Now I do not know about you, but if I stack my Party's D&D books together I can make a stack higher than my head. Thats at least 60$ an inch, mind you. And now I HAVE to pay $7 for each book just for the priviledge of using it digitally? err? I rather type it in myself...

For the next version of Redblade I'm focussing on the following areas:
- Customization. Tailored for publishers and dungeon masters, the new editor will make expanding Redblade and entering your own campaigns, booklets and character sheets a snap.
- Community. Redblade will come integrated with community booklet browsing and downloading. Likewise, it will provide an easy way to share your campaigns with the redblade community.  I'm hoping to entice small publishers to release free redblade booklets in exchange for a small 'buy here' link in Redblade.
- Quality. The current version lacks thorough design and it shows.
- Multilingual. With some help we should be able to make Redblade available to the masses. Dutch and English are covered Wink
- Compatibility. I plan broader booklet support.

I intend Redblade to keep its main strength: lean and mean, with an easy to use user interface.

Cost: Redblade itself will be totally free. However, I plan on adding a means for donations. (my gf, my doggy and two cats needs to be fed too Wink!)

expected license: closed source freeware. (sorry guys!)

As far as OS support: It will stay a Windows product, with some effort thrown it to make it work on WINE for Linux and Mac OS X systems. I've pondered building a website version of Redblade but I think that raises too many license issues for the host. Redblade will offer user activated web connectivity for finding and installing booklets; nothing mandatory.

I love to hear what you guys think. I'm aware I have a tendancy to suddenly drop from the map but I'm hoping to put some safeguards in place to prevent that from happening. Expect a Redblade roadmap soon.

I Am running 2 tables right now. 3-4 nights a week I am Playing D&D for about 2 hours. I am just glad Redblade is around because I can keep makeing ideas and Plug some through redblade.

As for Ideas... I would say Probably everything above. Also try to make Other Rule sets Like Forgotten Realms (Aslong as it's OGM of course) I know there are a few out there. Also yes A NPC Generator would be Great. and if you can pull of a Epic Generator I think I will be set for a LONG time.

EDIT: New Idea hit the table a few more example stories for background. I can go through so many they all seem the same now. So a few more would be nice.

Help others that need it However only if they deserve it!
Werewolf_HaXXoR
Adventurers Blade

Fighter, why use a sword made of a koala's nose?

UmbrellaCorp190
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2006, 08:23:27 pm »

Shocked I think you are just the coolest person on the earth. Truly amazing. I just hope that you keep up the good work, and if you could open up the source code (what language is it written in? HD, PHP, SQL, C/C++, etc.?), I would be willing to learn it and help in any way that you would let me!
I love RedBlade, downloaded it before on the old download site... and been using it for like, 1-3/4 to 2 years. You have a strong supporter in me. I just found this site about a week ago and instantly said 'Holy crud! It's been updated!?
I thought it was great 2 years ago, and I absolutely love the new version, so I just wanna say keep up the good work!

P.S.- I think templates like these
"http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/sp"
would be a wonderful addition to RedBlade. ( I don't know if they're OGC, though)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin:
The ORIGINAL home of GEN-CON
Home of Coo Coo Cal and MC Mike
ploesch
Administrator
Battleworn Gladius

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2006, 10:12:34 pm »

Welcome Back Daan.

this is PhillipLoesch from the yahoo group.  I have been on a hiatis from gaming for a while, and am glad to be getting bac into it.  One of the first things I did was see how my favorite character generator was doing.  

Very happy to see a new version, and to see you back programming it.  This is definetely a project I will support as best I can.  

A few suggestions for the new version. Not the upgrade of the old one, but the new one.

Support for loading multiple data sources. - Similar to the way PCGen does it.  This would allow the community to build data sets without the SRD materials.  So that We could do one book, and not have to do SRD + XXX, +XXXX +XXXX, then have to duplicate the work someone else already did on YYY.  Instead you can have the SRD data, then Book1, Book2, Book3, etc.

Custom Fields - The ability to add custom Fields to the database.  This will help support different campaign styles.

Custom Character sheets - I'm not asking you to build in a wysiwyg, but simply to ask what character sheet to use.  In the last version I had customized the character sheet some, moved a few things around, and such as well as making the XP fields and a few others into form fields so i could enter numbers before printing. Smiley  There would need to be a listing to print the list of fields and directions how to include them, or just in the help files.  This would be useful in supporting the custom fields and allow the community more leeway in creating charactersheets that have the look we want, such as custom logos for certain campaigns and such.

Generally just allowing for different systems of play.  There are so many D20 systems now, and many different ways to do everything.  I really don't expect you to be able to take them all into account, but making things as accessible as possible so we can do it ourselves would be great.

When selecting weapon sets, the shield should be part of the set, and armor stats should be shown with the set.  In this same vein, Building the set shouldn't "equip" the items in the set.  I an't tell you how many identical swords I had to buy for a warrior I made that sometimes dual wielded swords, sword and dagger or sword and shield.

That's all I have for now.  If you need any help at all testing, or putting together data sets, PRCs etc, please feel free to send an E-Mail.
daan
Administrator
Gem-Encrusted Sword

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2006, 10:49:36 am »

Quote from: "Banaticus"
Here's what I'm looking for.  The ability to select feats, PrCs, etc.  I want to be able to see prerequisites/dependancies.  So I really don't see why any WotC book couldn't be included (as far as feats, I just need the name and their prerequisites, that's it).  I'd be happy to supply you with this information for any WotC book that you'd like.  Email me at [my username here]@gmail.com and I'll pass it on to you.

All the things you specify are in the upcoming version, except for including all WoTC booklets, as I am bound to supplying only open content. For the first release I plan to package Redblade with sourcebooks for the whole SRD (which includes psio, epics and modern).

Quote from: "Banaticus"
How are you coming with this?  How close to "current WotC releases are you?  Are you still working with just the SRD or are you up to 2004 or maybe even 2005, maybe rather than going by release date you're going by popularity?  How far along are you?

At this moment my focus is on the engine, which is were most work needs to be done. I am entering and re-entering the code sourcebooks as I go, but only for testing purposes.

Daan
daan
Administrator
Gem-Encrusted Sword

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2006, 11:01:04 am »

Quote from: "ploesch"
Support for loading multiple data sources. - Similar to the way PCGen does it.  This would allow the community to build data sets without the SRD materials.  So that We could do one book, and not have to do SRD + XXX, +XXXX +XXXX, then have to duplicate the work someone else already did on YYY.  Instead you can have the SRD data, then Book1, Book2, Book3, etc.

At this moment testing a character with a campaign file and two sourcebook files.  Cheesy So this is already included. Tongue

Custom Fields - The ability to add custom Fields to the database.  This will help support different campaign styles.

Also done.

Custom Character sheets - I'm not asking you to build in a wysiwyg, but simply to ask what character sheet to use.

A Wysiwyg character sheet editor is planned.

Generally just allowing for different systems of play.  There are so many D20 systems now, and many different ways to do everything.  I really don't expect you to be able to take them all into account, but making things as accessible as possible so we can do it ourselves would be great.

I expect the new design to support a broad range of d20 products. It always amazes me how people managed to stretch Redblade to do what they want, considering the limit in freedom it gives.

When selecting weapon sets, the shield should be part of the set, and armor stats should be shown with the set.  In this same vein, Building the set shouldn't "equip" the items in the set.  I an't tell you how many identical swords I had to buy for a warrior I made that sometimes dual wielded swords, sword and dagger or sword and shield.

Noted! Thanks for your comments! Smiley

Daan
jack_dnd
Rusty Dagger

jack_dnd
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2006, 04:12:31 pm »

Will the new version have some sort of DM tool set, where the DM can import or recreate character sheets for his/her PCs, then group them for easy browsing?  Mainly for keeping track of characters or looking up a quick stat. Also would be useful for generating multiple NPCs for a game, and then be able to quickly "tab" through them.

I suppose the PCs could always email a current PDF copy of their character sheet, but sometimes that is easier said than done.

Just some random thoughts.
daan
Administrator
Gem-Encrusted Sword

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2006, 07:33:58 am »

Quote from: "jack_dnd"
Will the new version have some sort of DM tool set, where the DM can import or recreate character sheets for his/her PCs, then group them for easy browsing?  Mainly for keeping track of characters or looking up a quick stat. Also would be useful for generating multiple NPCs for a game, and then be able to quickly "tab" through them.

I suppose the PCs could always email a current PDF copy of their character sheet, but sometimes that is easier said than done.

Just some random thoughts.

Its under consideration. I want to perfect the character generation, character sheet designer and sourcebook designer before I work on DM optimized tools in Redblade, like mass NPC and encounter generation.

Daan
jack_dnd
Rusty Dagger

jack_dnd
View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2006, 12:01:03 pm »

COOL!  Thanks for the reply.  Love the old version of Redblade....can't wait for the new version.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: