Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/daan/data/www/redblade.org/www/community/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Future of Redblade CG and 3.5
community.redblade.org
May 23, 2017, 02:36:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forums spam cleaned up. Registration disabled due to spambots, sorry!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Future of Redblade CG and 3.5  (Read 13015 times)
daan
Administrator
Gem-Encrusted Sword

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 08, 2009, 10:26:05 am »

I've always found it hard to balance time between projects, social life, an work. Staying loyal to one project implies abandoning or at least pausing others, and Redblade CG and Redblade 3.5 have, in a way, fallen victim. I've been asked many times to complete Redblade CG, or at least release the source so others can complete it.

Redblade 3.5 still has a nice user base and I would like to release the source into public domain somewhere this month. It has reached its expiration date though, so beyond a few bugfixes I have no plans to change it, now or in the future.

Redblade CG was very close to completion when I put it on pause, and I've always been irked by its non-release. Still I think it requires one or two months of attention before its fit for release, and that's ignoring the whole D&D 4e debacle.

One thing is certain; if I keep it on the shelf it'll never take flight, so I have decided to release the unfinished Redblade CG before end of March. This isn't exactly a user ready version, but it should be enough to get some enthusiasts going. In the mean time I'm looking into what's needed to make Redblade CG survive as a successful open source project.

I'll keep you posted! (promise :p)
greyhaze
Adventurers Blade

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 03:46:36 pm »

OMG, this is excellent news!  Thank you for all of your hard work, I look forward to the community picking up the torch and continuing on with this.  I wish you the best, and am grateful that you are able to pass this on to us.  Smiley
averell
Global Moderator
Rusty Dagger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 04:31:29 pm »

Cool! I hope you can make CG open source, I'd love to work on it as well. I postponed my own char editor project a few times, still hoping CG would be finished some day....
daan
Administrator
Gem-Encrusted Sword

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 06:49:03 pm »

For anyone interested I'll be posting updates on my blog.
daan
Administrator
Gem-Encrusted Sword

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 10:23:28 am »

Time for an update.

I've spent a little more time than intended on my new wishlist tool, which is going to help structure further developments of Redblade 3.5 and Redblade CG.

This means the Redblade CG release and Redblade 3.5 Open Sourcing will take a little longer. I'll keep you posted!

Daan
daan
Administrator
Gem-Encrusted Sword

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 04:52:45 am »

Still alive and working on it!

greyhaze
Adventurers Blade

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 03:19:43 pm »

In your blog u asked for testers, I'm on a Mac and am willing to test.
hogfather
Adventurers Blade

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 06:10:10 am »

Thanks for taking time out of your life to finish this program for us poor deprived geeks. I've spent the past few years waiting for CG/SRD, checking the site every few months. And now, the end is in site. If you ever want help with beta testing or forum moderation, you have my sword.

I'm extremely grateful that Redblade SRD did not go the way of Duke Nukem Forever
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: