Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/daan/data/www/redblade.org/www/community/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Looking for suggestions on getting the word out on CG
community.redblade.org
September 22, 2018, 05:51:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forums spam cleaned up. Registration disabled due to spambots, sorry!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for suggestions on getting the word out on CG  (Read 15024 times)
daan
Administrator
Gem-Encrusted Sword

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 16, 2006, 07:39:47 pm »

Hi all!

I'm looking for suggestions to inform more gamers (and publishers!) that Redblade CG is coming. At the moment I post frequent updates on the WoTC and enworld forums but it isn't getting much exposure.

My problem: PR isn't my expertise Tongue

Any ideas? Sites that would review Redblade? People who I should contact?

Daan
Emryys
Novice Sword

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 03:12:50 am »

Quote from: "maransreth"
Apart from that, word of mouth once it is out and gamers like it and tell other gamers on forums, etc.

One thing to avoid is alot of hype before you know when you have somthing for people to play with. People get frustrated when they hear about something exciting then they can't get ahold of it and don't come back.

Once the Beta is about to ship (so to speak), I would do a big push to these locals...
Then get some people to review it, and if they like it (of course they will Wink  ), get them to put a link in their signature in other RPG forums... This works wonders for the word of mouth strategy... Wink

daan
Administrator
Gem-Encrusted Sword

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 06:40:47 am »

Your suggestions make a lot of sense, especially waiting until people have something to play with. (I myself can't wait 'till Spore gets released, arghh the wait!)

The Redblade CG flash demo is intended as a means to show things are moving forwards instead of standing still. Without the actual product being available I can see how that might scare some people away.

Keep them coming!
Daan
Emryys
Novice Sword

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 07:46:56 am »

Quote from: "daan"
The Redblade CG flash demo is intended as a means to show things are moving forwards instead of standing still...

And to cause incessant drooling... Wink

daan
Administrator
Gem-Encrusted Sword

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 08:54:31 am »

Quote from: "Berg"
And to cause incessant drooling... Wink

Lets hope I don't get sued for defective keyboards. Tongue

Daan
cm2ramos
bug hunter
Adventurers Blade

cm2ramos@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 11:46:39 am »

Ah, when will WE be able to test it?  You need to debut the product first, so we can test - The teaser trailer (flash demo) isn't enough, so when is the Release?

When you get there, since this is open license / Shareware - CNET Downloads and Sourceforge may venues on which to post and receive reviews and user ratings.  

Don't forget "Word of Mouth" when we finally get our hands on it to put it to the test.  I myself am a member of a number of boards and lists that are not gaming sites, but have a lot of Gamers.  I also belong to a Gaming Convention Organization where you may find a following.  Simply adding a tagline to a signature about Redblade will help.

I would also suggest a more informative / professional Homepage rather than straight to Message Board.  Doesn't have to be ellaborate. i.e. Simple yet Professional Pages on What Redblade is/was/will be, Downloads, Donations, and Discussion Board.  A Framed page would be ideal with these menu items in the Left Frame.

Cheers!

C.M.Ramos

C.M.Ramos
==============
"Give me a row of Orc necks and room to swing and all weiriness will fall from me." - Gimli, Helms Deep, The Two Towers
==============
daan
Administrator
Gem-Encrusted Sword

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 06:12:11 pm »

Quote from: "cm2ramos"
Ah, when will WE be able to test it?  You need to debut the product first, so we can test - The teaser trailer (flash demo) isn't enough, so when is the Release?

Ah, a man of action! Closed Alpha will start this week, after I finish some small things and the sourcebook tutorial demo. The public release date depends on how well the Alpha goes.

[Edit] A website is in the works, (Redblade CG has some features that require an upgrade anyway).

Daan
ploesch
Administrator
Battleworn Gladius

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 06:14:09 pm »

I would suggest waiting on the Hype till you are closer to Release, or at least a Beta Release.  RPGhost.com would be one plce to try and get a mention.

I will also be writing some about it in my own Blog, and was planning on plugging Redblade CG on the official Birthright forums when I got a working sourcebook up for the 3E version.

There are allot of gaming community boards out there, and I think most gamers visit at least one of them.  So the best advertising might be for all of us to post about it on the boards we frequent once Daan gives us the word.
Granak
bug hunter
Trusted Sword

granak1031@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 11:37:27 pm »

Word of mouth is a very powerful thing, especially when you have very devoted users(which you have). Also, forum administrators of various websites may well enjoy your CG themselves, or will at least recognize that others will, and will thereby have a good reason to post something about it. Also, offering to post links to thier websites in exchange for the same from them often helps matters.(Note: A links page in the website update would then be a good idea, if you decided to do that.)

ere lies an athiest, all dressed up with no place to go

To be strange is to be normal, and to be normal is to be starnge.
daan
Administrator
Gem-Encrusted Sword

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 05:30:20 pm »

Great suggestions so far!

I've put some work into a more appealing website. go give it a visit (the forum there is a test copy of this one, anything you post there will be lost when I upgrade the site.). Comments are welcome!

http://home.redblade.org/
Emryys
Novice Sword

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2006, 04:48:07 pm »

New site looks spiffy Smiley

Well done...

Werewolf_HaXXoR
Adventurers Blade

Fighter, why use a sword made of a koala's nose?

UmbrellaCorp190
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 11:42:17 am »

OMG I loved that flash-demo-thingy... Now I have to use my old desktop computer
'cause I drooled all over my laptop (due to the excessive AWESOMENESS)! Daan, I
think that a good way to get publicity is ride a skateboard while you're on fire (kidding). Actually, I could plaster it all over the RPG Host network, not that i run it,  but I am a regular on their sites...

So here it is:
We go to Seattle, climb the Space Needle, hook 20 megaphones end-to-end, and scream "DOWNLOAD REDBLADE CG! FOR MORE INFO, GO TO REDBLADE-DOT-ORG!!!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin:
The ORIGINAL home of GEN-CON
Home of Coo Coo Cal and MC Mike
greyhaze
Adventurers Blade

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 09:45:55 am »

Yeesh, I just posted this in the wrong thread and I have no idea how I got there... but anyways...

I didn't see it mentioned here, but you may want to post this on maxminis.com and hordelings.com, both are dedicated D&D sites which have RPG sections.
dberg_usa
Rusty Dagger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 10:51:54 pm »

I've put a link to your site at my online rpg chat site KOTLL.COM . I also regularly recommend Redblade on all the sites I visit.  It is truly so much better than all the other stuff being offered on the net.  As an on-going endeavor, I've been working with various sites playtesters to get them used to using Redblade.  Since KOTLL has an interface written specifically to support Redblad HTML sheets, its a good way to encourage them to use the software.

Hope that helps you out.  Its a great application. 

Keep up the good work,
Dave
greyhaze
Adventurers Blade

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 09:18:10 am »

I'll put in a link on my site as well. http://www.ddmspoilers.com

What's the ETA on the new Redblade?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: